Friday, July 17, 2009

Race Singlets and Odd Sizes

As mentioned in another blog entry here, singlets are one of my favorite things about running events. The ATC Southern Race organizers didn't provide one, but the Robinson's Supermarket Fit and Fun Run and the Globe Run For Home organizers both did.

The singlets both came in XXL sizes, too. Unfortunately, typical of apparel to be found in stores, they're not what I would call standard sizes because they were more like size L since they fit me like a second skin. Literally. A bit of alteration by Manong, a local tailor near the BF church, was necessary to make them more comfortable for my use. Luckily, the fabrics are commonly available and easy for Manong to find. (**Update: this was true for the Buddy Run singlet but not for the Globe singlet, for which he used a kind of fabric that I suspect is used for high school and grade school polo barongs. Not a good choice for athletic apparel. Ano ba naman yan, Manong! Good thing I only had him add a few inches to the breadth of the jersey along the left and right side seams. Click on the photo and see for yourself.)

Ever been to the Greenhills tiangge or to the 168 Mall? I sometimes see the odd sizes XXXL or XXXXL! You'd think they're made for Shaq-sized people but they actually don't look that big at all. In fact, I bought a couple of windbreaker jackets from the Cuenca Bazaar sometime back that are labeled 4XL. But believe me, they're only XL-sized. Wherever those were made, they sure have really small people there for fit models.

No comments:

Post a Comment