Friday, July 31, 2009

More on Elysees / Elysium

[ This entry is an extension of the Champs-Elysees and the Elysium topic mentioned in another blog entry. Just click here to view that. ]

Elysium / The Elysian Fields. From Greek Mythology. "The Place of the Blessed Dead."
Avenue des Champs-Elysees, Paris, France. Roughly in English, The Avenue of the Place of the Blessed Dead.

[ Click here to read Wikipedia's entry on the Champs-Elysees. ]


General Maximus addressing the Roman Cavalry
Image credit: AmericanRhetoric.com

In one of my favorite films, "Gladiator", Russell Crowe's character mentioned this after-life place to his horsemen, the Roman Cavalry, before a battle. Here's part of what General Maximus said,
"If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"
I remember the word Elysium clearly because I couldn't understand that particular word. I had to turn subtitles on and replay the scene to get it so I could Google it.

It was one of the most powerful scenes in that film. The way Maximus said it, and the way the cavalry reacted showed how endeared the general was to his men. I guess you could say it was an inspiring moment, right before riding their horses toward battle where they could very possibly die. Excellent film. We have it on original DVD in our collection.

One last note. I'm not so sure, but isn't there a Cafe Elysees at Rustan's? Wait, no. It's at SM malls! Well. Bon appetit. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete