Monday, July 20, 2009

5K Race Journal - Globe Run For Home

Dry run. Our day began while it was still dark, just like for anyone who participated in the event. My wife and I woke up at 4:14 AM, got ready, picked up our gear, and headed out by 4:45 AM toward the direction of Bonifacio High Street. First thing I noticed -- dry road, no rain. Thank God! I thought I was going to run my first wet race already and I just didn't feel my body could resist a cold and a fever that morning.

Image credit: Globe Telecom, Inc.

Anyway, we quickly got to the race venue as there were very few vehicles on the SLEX and the C-5 connection. As we maneuvered the right turn after the Serendra block, I saw what I presumed to be the 21K runners already on their way, as they were scheduled to start racing at 5:00 AM. I was amazed at how large the group was and immediately regretted not being prepared with my cellcam, missing the opportunity to shoot a clip for this entry.

Stargazing. Then I thought I spotted some celebrity person running there among the pack of half-marathoners. So I told my wife that Sen. Kiko Pangilinan has joined the race and was running the 21K. Apparently she was paying attention as well and said, "Hinde 'no, si Anthony Pangilinan yun, kapatid n'ya na asawa ni Maricel Laxa!" Ah, yes, of course. Whatever will I do without my wife pointing out the subtleties of celebrity stargazing.
Later on after the race, we strolled through the crowd while making our way toward the little village of tents where the loud amplified voices of the emcees were coming from and saw Cathy Santillan, Rovilson Fernandez and someone I'm guessing to be Rio of [Run Rio] fame. But I don't know for sure. Next time I spot him at a race, I'll attempt to do a really quick interview for speedbagal.

Image credit: darkskyscotland.org.uk

Before the race. Securing a parking spot was already getting more difficult by the minute as more cars began arriving as we did. We decided that our chances were better if we headed for the parking lots at the side of Boni High opposite the event podium. From there, we thought it was best to warm up by walking around the farther end of the strip of shops then work our way back toward the assembly area adjacent to the parking lot behind the R.O.X. outfit. After we walked two laps around, the 10K race was about to start. We watched that race launch out of the starting gate [read that blog entry here], then got ready for the 5K assembly at the starting chute.

One minute gain. Hundreds of 5K runners have already formed at the st art chute when we made our way in, so we tried to make our way as close to the middle of the pack as possible. I was thinking that when the race starts, all these people will have to squeeze through the starting chute which was not as wide as the road. My theory: the starting gate structure will create a bit of a bottleneck forcing time losses right from the starting gun. Soon as we made our way out of the starting gate my little theory was validated. This alone I'm sure helped shave at least a minute off my race time. Sa susunod kaya sa front row kami mag-start?!? Tempting, pero nakakahiya naman dun sa mga fast runners na nasa harapan.

The chip. As the people ahead of us were already on their way back after the turnaround point, I noticed they weren't wearing any lanyards around their neck nor wrist bands as evidence for reaching the turnaround point. As I approached the turnaround, I heard a faint humming. Then I saw the yellow boxes on the curb with wide rubber mats laid out across the road in front of the devices. Ah, so the racing chips provide the evidence of who made it to the halfway mark. Something I didn't notice at the start and finish gate, but I'm pretty sure they're there to tell the organizers who really finished the race. Hehehe, hindi puwede mandaya. Good thing I laced mine and my wife's racing chips onto our running shoes the night before.

Copyright 2009 Speedbagal.blogspot.com

Final approach to the finish line. The sight of the finish line and the lively sound gave me a boost. But somehow, it felt like I wasn't getting closer to the finish line fast enough. With the final 50 meters I was able to watch the race clock and it told me I was almost 5 minutes faster than my last best 5K time. My wife crossed a minute and a half later, beating her own best time by 3.5 minutes. So far, so good. Every one of the last two 5K races we both were able to improve on our personal records. On to the next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment